Sunday, April 12, 2009

Science Projects

I don't understand why teachers assign science projects to young kids. Do they really think these kids do the projects themselves? Christopher had one due this last week. Uggghhh! I was not excited about this AT ALL. The assigned topic was the solar system. But, as much as I dreaded it, it actually turned out to be a real blessing. Let me explain....

At least a few days a week, when John and I arrive home, we find the kinds vegging out in front of the TV and their chores have not been done, their homework may or may not have been done. This makes us very grumpy to say the least. (And, I have to say, my kids don't have a lot of chores. Typically their daily chores are to feed and water the dog, do the dishes, and do their homework.)

However, this week, we came home to both of the kids at the kitchen table working on this project TOGETHER! PEACEFULLY! And they would work on it most of the evening. The TV wasn't on almost all week. It was so nice. There were times I would stand where they couldn't see me, but I could hear them and listen to them having these intelligent conversations about the solar system and discussing the best options for the layout of this project. No one was being bossy or dominant. It was such a blessing to see this part of my kids. I got to see Katie being patient with Christopher (that hasn't happened since he was about 3!). Christopher was seeking Katie's advice and then didn't accuse her of being bossy when she gave it!

So, teachers, bring on more projects!

No comments: