Sunday, July 12, 2009

I forgot to take pictures!

We took the new camper out for our first camping trip this weekend. Packing is so easy now! All the necessities stay in the camper (toothbrushes, soaps, dishes, non perishable food, even our clothes). Beds will stay made. The only thing I have to do to hit the road is stock the fridge with the perishable food stuff. takes about 15 minutes max. It's so great and very little stress on me. The stress and work of camping is what made me dislike it in the first place. Camping was not relaxing for me, it was a pain in my behind. But now (insert a chorus of angels singing), no stress - at least not till we get to the campsite.......

John and I don't always get along on road trips. He is, under normal circumstances, the easy going one, no stress, no worries,...I, on the other hand, worry about everything, stress about everything, and need order and routines and lists, I like lists. We switch personalities, though, when we are traveling. He gets so stressed that I'm pretty sure at any moment his head is going to spin right off his head and go flying into outer space. I don't think I ever get that bad, he might think differently though. Backing this new 30 foot trailer into the campsite proved to be a little bit difficult. We reserved a spot online and it was a good spot, but online they don't show you the little curves of the driveway. We got a crooked spot, not really crooked, but just enough to make it difficult for us. And they lined the camper driveway with trees so that made it even more difficult cause we HAD to keep the truck on the driveway as we backed the camper up. A nice old guy that was camping near us came and helped us navigate the camper backward. We even let him give it a try. We felt better when he said the layout of the driveway and trees wasn't any good and he had a hard time with his efforts.

So, the camper is parked, the jacks are down, its all leveled, and the slideout is out - that took about 15 or 20 minutes. That's it, we're done. We are camping! It was too hot to stay outside unless you were in the lake. I don't swim in the lake (most everyone knows my snake story...and if you don't, it's not something i can tell, i have to act it out). So the kids and John are off to swim and I'll just soak up the AC for a bit. That was the weekend. We grilled outside and washed dishes inside! That was real nice. Christopher and I both started and finished a book and read a gazillion magazines. Katie and John brought books that were bigger than the dictionary, so they didn't finish theirs.

To pack up, all we did was sweep the inside and pull the slideout in. Again, no stress! Even the moment we were dreading most wasn't bad - the emptying of the gray and black water tanks. We were scared and grossed out before we started. But it was SO easy and neither one of us vomited or were splashed with yuck!

I forgot to take pictures this time. Not sure where we are going next, but I'm ready and I'll take pictures then.

No comments: